Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

The Big Game

Having lived in Oz for over four years now and being surrounded by Aussie friends & family, hubby included, I'm used to my fair share of Kiwi jokes/friendly banter. So last night I was a brave Kiwi and went to a friend's house to watch the big game where I was outnumbered by 5 to 1. Except for the help of my mini half Kiwi son, who wore an NZ top & shorts in support of his Kiwi heritage (he is really Aussie considering he was born here & has an Aussie passport!).

Sure enough, the tried & tested jokes came out..sheep ones, "basically part of Oz" ones, and even hubby's fav - "have you heard about the Kiwi bra, all support but no cup". Then once the game kicked off it all changed to complaints from the Aussie troops and cheers & flag waving from me!! I made sure to share each text I received from NZ just to stir things up even more. By the end Morgan & I were dancing round the lounge and hubby declared that "Morgan can be an All Black when he grows up!". I think I should get that in writing!

I watched the final whistle blow with tears in my eyes and wishing I could be back in NZ celebrating with all the locals. If I win lotto this week I'll be there for the Grand Final with bells on!!

2 comments:

  1. YAAAAY, GO THE ALL BLACKS!!! My French husband is getting ready for the match of the year. Though, in his own words, he did say 'The French are going to be crushed.' I just hope he's right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, it was a great game to watch! France v NZ is going to be an interesting one for us - my hubby is French and we lived in NZ for a while so we have an interest in both teams!!!

    ReplyDelete