Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

"Yummy in my tummy"

Morgan had his first taste of solids today! We've been umming & ahhing for a while about when to start. The WHO recommends babies should be 6mths, our local GP said 4-5mths, the paediatrician said 5mths and Tizzie Hall of Save Our Sleep also says 4-5mths. The issue for us is that Morgan was 4wks prem so has an adjusted age as well as his actual age. I've asked the local community nurse whether that means we should wait a month longer and she advised to go by the signs indicated by Morgan. Well he can hold his head up perfectly fine, he doesn't yet sit by himself but can sit propped up on the couch or supported in the car seat. Each morning I sit on the floor next to him and eat my breakfast. He stops playing with his toys and watches as the spoon goes from the bowl to my mouth. Another sign. He is also quite unsettled with his naps and sleeping at night at the mo, although that could be due to a number of different reasons.

Anyhoo, we decided to buy a highchair for Morgan for Christmas. We figured he'll be spoilt with plenty of clothes & toys by family so we'd get something practical (making the most of him being unable to request the latest toy!!)

We made the teeny mistake of following the instructions on the side of the rice cereal box when preparing the food, and mixed 3 tablespoons of the cereal with 90mls of expressed breastmilk. I read afterwards that we should have just mixed up 1 teaspoon of the cereal with breastmilk. Woops! Not that it mattered though, as Morgan pushed most of it out with his tongue and let us know when he'd had enough. He swallowed a couple of times though and was all smiles so it's a great start!

 
Now the fun begins with steaming, puree-ing, freezing fresh fruit & vege. I know it's only the first day, but it didn't help his sleep issue much at all. He was in bed by 7pm, woke again at 7.35pm and again an hour later! I think the main culprit is the dummy. Now that he's 5mths, he's developed night time sleep cycles so wakes several times a night if it falls out. Next challenge, getting rid of the dummy!!

3 comments:

  1. I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU TO THROW THOSE EFFING BOOKS AWAY???!!!
    Happy New Year Morgan Sweetheart - when we come over in July you can sleep in our bed, have cuddles and we'll feed you chippies and ice cream!!! mwah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oi cheeky monkey!! I wrote this before I spoke to you!!

    Aye carumba!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute boy!
    Thanks for commenting on my blog. Yes each year with the families does get easier.

    ReplyDelete