Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

First family holiday

Last week we arrived home from our first family holiday. Muz's brother & family had rented a 3 bedroom apartment overlooking the beach at Forster, 4ish hours north of Sydney, so we went up to join them for a week. The apartment was on the 7th floor, with views of the beach from the main balcony and from our bedroom balcony we looked out over the town towards the inlet. 

Sunset from our bedroom balcony
 The weather was miserable for the first 3 days and a touch of cabin fever started to set in. Muz & I braved the freezing cold water and went for a swim in the ocean pool. And when I say freezing I mean takes-your-breath-away freezing!! Needless to say we only stayed in for maybe 20mins tops, by which time we were both numb and shivering!

To escape the weather the following day, we went to the local indoor pools for a swim. Muz's niece & nephew are such great little swimmers, I can't wait to take Morgan to lessons once he's old enough. This was Morgan's first time in a pool and thankfully he didn't cry or seem at all scared. When I told my mum she said he probably thought 'Wow, what a big bath!' and I agree! Both Muz & I were very nervous holding him in the pool but it's given me confidence for when we do go to lessons.

By Saturday we finally had gorgeous sunshine so headed to the beach. Another first for Morgan! This time we just plonked him on a towel on the sand as the water was far too cold for our little munchkin. So he slept through his beach visit and the same again the following day. By Sunday the water temperature was lovely so I swam for ages. If it wasn't for Morgan needing a feed I probably would've stayed in all day! I'm still a water baby at heart, despite not getting to swim very often.

View from the main balcony
Our apartment was in a great location, as well as being opposite the beach it was within walking distance of the town and the inlet. I was excited to find an icecream shop in town that sold REAL Kiwi hokey pokey icecream!! Made my day! Muz had several opportunities for a spot of fishing with his big bro, although most of the fish had to be thrown back due to size restrictions. My sister in law and I took the kids down to the inlet to watch the boys on the last day and were treated to seeing dolphins swimming along the breakwater! 

All up it was a fun holiday. I'd been a bit stressed about how it would go taking Morgan out of his routine but he's either at the perfect age for adjusting to a new environment or maybe he's just a happy chappy and doesn't care where he is, as long as he's getting fed! I think it helped taking his bassinet, so he had a familiar bed to sleep in. He had some great long daytime naps while on holiday which allowed me to have some long naps too. Happy days!

Beach bum!
 









No comments:

Post a Comment