I was in two minds about putting up a Christmas tree this year. I love having a tree but wasn't sure if little hands might find the decorations too tempting. Last week we decided to risk it and while Morgan had a nap, Hubby and I put the tree together. Breakable decorations have been placed up high out of reach and plastic or material decorations are at the bottom. The fairy lights also stop three quarters of the way down, so looks kinda funny lit up in the evening! Morgan has been pretty good so far, a couple of plastic decorations have been pulled off and thrown around the lounge but other than that he's usually too busy playing with his toys to bother with the tree.
The new additions to the collection have been a couple from my Mum - an old cross-stitched decoration I made when I was young and an embroidered pohutukawa stocking (not made by me!). I scored a bargain on a Christmas plate & bowl for Morgan, $2.85 for both! The plan is to use it for breakfast each day during December, just to start a new tradition. I love the little tree with Morgan's name on, also sent over by my Mum. She had one made for each of us, someone cut the wood out then a friend painted them. Very original!
This year I thought I'd try my hand at making my own Christmas wreath (way overpriced in the shops!). Inspired by these Christmas trees, I went to Spotlight and picked up a polystyrene wreath, green wool, red & white mini pom poms and red ribbon for $8. I spent an evening winding a couple of layers of wool round the wreath then bought a glue gun (I'm a first timer!) and stuck the pom poms and ribbon on. It doesn't look to bad in my opinion, as long as you don't look to closely! The only thing I'd do differently is buy a bigger wreath as it looks a bit tiny on our front door.
I haven't started Christmas baking yet, although I have to get cracking as I'm planning to give Morgan's swimming instructor some Peppermint Bark in 2 days time. Yikes! Hubby's family are having an early Christmas this Sunday for family members that can't be here on the day, so will be making something festive for that too.


It all looks like a lot of fun! We have our Christmas tree strapped to a table and behind a baby guard, but I still found one of the girls with a semi-eaten Christmas decoration in her hands the other day :) I love your Christmas wreath (and the inspiration was very cool, too!)...I reckon it looks great, even in the closer-up photos :) Happy baking! I would be tempted to make the same if candycanes were readily available here :)
ReplyDeleteOh I LOVE that wreath - the winding wool around idea is so lovely. I was going to make something similar after seeing some pics (wound wool, with felt flowers), but couldn't find a polystyrene wreath form! The addition of pom poms is so fun and Christmassy. Enjoy the new glue gun - life will never be the same now, tee hee :).
ReplyDelete